Lamentations 3:21-24

" But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore, I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:21-24

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Meal Deal: Another Big Idea Family Game

Veggie Tales has done it again!  For Campbell Family Fun Night, we started out with a meal game called "Meal Deal". This is another one from my college days and independent study with Big Idea Productions. Thank you for enriching my family this many years later!

Meal Deal

What you need:
Stuff to prepare a meal

How to play:
Team up in pairs, Now prepare and eat a meal together. One person keeps his or her eyes closed the entire time. The other person may not use their hands. Work together to locate the food, prepare the meal (e.g. make a sandwich or build an ice cream sundae), and then feed each other. Was the other person having all the fun? Then switch roles at the next meal.

What you learned:
How did you feel with your limitation? What are some of your real limitations? How could others help you overcome your limitation?


Obviously with a 4 and 2 year old, we had to make major adaptations to this meal game. For example, we switched roles within the same meal and we only played during part of the meal. PJ and Abby paired up while Caedmon and I were a team. (Try explaining to a 2 year old that he can't use his hands to eat or has to keep his eyes closed while feeding Mommy!)

Abby and PJ went first.  Abby seemed much more hesitant to close her eyes to prepare the food than to eat without the use of her hands. My personal observation for this is that she's so easily embarrassed. She doesn't like to be laughed at, even if the experience is funny.  So we adapted.  PJ did a wonderful job putting Pear Butter on the biscuit and feeding Abby with his eyes closed! He's such a good sport!




Caed enjoyed watching me prepare food with my eyes closed and dodging my attempts at feeding him. He made it a challenge for me! We never could get him to feed me. 




This game was, admittedly, well over their heads. But it was a great reminder to me. Too often I'm prideful with my  high expectations I have for each of my family members.  I'm reminded to seek out and encourage the strengths of my kids and husband and to come alongside in their weaknesses.  And to allow them to do the same for me. I'm realizing more and more how we need each other. I love seeing our family grow in this area.

We played this family game a week ago today. In that week, I've witnessed an increase in Abby's compassion for Caed.  During the dinner discussion, Abby said that she is able to help Caed reach things that he cannot reach.  Since that meal, I've noticed that she has often stopped to help Caed open the Lego box or get a juice from the refrigerator for him.  And Caed, who normally doesn't want help from anyone but Mommy, has been going to Abby and asking please!

I look forward to playing this when they are older and able to understand it more fully!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts