Lamentations 3:21-24

" But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore, I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:21-24

Monday, May 2, 2011

You Have Arrived!

I love our GPS....

Well, in theory I love it. I appreciate having a voice there to direct me every mile of the journey. And if I mess up, "Mag" (as we call her), is there immediately with an alternate route to help me reach my destination.


But...then there are times that dear, sweet Mag has failed me. Such as the last five minutes of our journey. I drove the troop down to North Carolina and even survived traffic once we finally hit the freeway.  Feeling pretty proud of myself and thinking over my speech of victory that I would share with my mom on the phone, I came upon a snag.  Or an infinite intersection, if you will.

Mag tells me to turn right, but there is no right. I go straight. She tells me to make a legal u-turn. I do. She tells me to turn left, but there is no left. I go straight. She tells me to make a legal u-turn....and on we go until I nearly dissolve in tears, whip the car off the road and hop out allowing Dear Hubby to take over...5 minutes from the hotel.

Or the time that we attempted to leave Wake Forest and Mag led us through a series of left and rights only to dump us into an unknown recently developed part of town. Clearly there were street signs and traffic lights...but according to Mag's map, we were in the middle of a field. hmmm.

Twice we wanted to try out the local scene and find a groovy coffee shop. Mag assured us that there would be a happy, indigenous, coffee beanery just 2 miles away. Several u-turns later we discovered that the local population must prefer discount tires to groovy coffee because the beanery is no longer there.  Yet, Mag was confident when she said, "You have arrived!"

Even though we had directions at our fingertips, we still managed to get lost. What we needed was not simply directions, but an accurate overview of our destination.  There's a sermon illustration in here somewhere. But for now, the only thing that keeps coming to mind is Abby's memory verse from church:

" Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."  Psalm 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts