Lamentations 3:21-24

" But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore, I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:21-24

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Caedmon Alexzander

Tonight I have been looking through old photos and remembering the birth of our son, Caedmon Alexzander 2 years ago tomorrow.  What better way to celebrate Mother's Day!


 We call him Caedmon Roo because he is like a kangaroo. Though quiet and peaceful in this pic, when awake, he is quick, always on the go and usually hopping.  From the first day that I could feel him in my belly, Roo has been in motion.  Then it was kicking, now it's climbing, jumping, running... 

Caed entered our lives a few days after his due date, but still unexpectedly.  After a routine appointment and non-stress test, the doctors decided that we should go ahead and induce labor because of some minor complications.  I was thrilled!   Then after a night in the hospital (and some AMAZING chocolate cake) Caed arrived at 1:00pm on the dot (or at least it was our best guess...the Labor and Delivery nurses forgot to check the time!)

So tonight's entry is dedicated to our son: Caedmon Alexzander.

Caedmon, Son, I'd like to explain to you why we named you the way we did. I realize that it's a difficult name and you may someday wish we had just named you something simple like "Joe". You will probably spend the majority of your time correcting the way others say it. Even now at age 2 you are forced to call yourself "Big Guy" because you can't pronounce "Caedmon" (just wait until you have to learn to spell it!), but your name is so special and each time I think of it, I get a misty-eyed.

First, a little history.  Saint Caedmon was a man that lived in England about the year 660 A.D.  He was an ordinary man that took care of cows. He was unable to read or write.  In his day, people would sit around the fire in the evenings and tell stories and sing songs from memory rather than read.  But Caedmon hated this. Each time it was his turn to recite a story, his mind fell blank.  He enjoyed the stories of his companions: tales of monsters, heroes, great birds and dragons and ships at sea, but felt ashamed and frustrated with his own inability to narrate or sing.

One night after a particularly embarrassing experience at the hearth, a man came to Caedmon in a dream and commanded him to sing a song about the things that he knew best. Caedmon sang a song about  his experience watching over the cows in the field. This is his song according to legend:

Praise we now the Keeper of heaven's kingdom,
The mind of the mighty Maker,
The Glorious Father who made
The world and all its wonders;

How first He created the roof of heaven
For us, the children of men;
The the holy Creator, the eternal Lord,
Gave the earth to people,
This middle earth to be our home.

Caedmon went on to become a monk and to share his special poems of creation, Noah, King David, Jesus and many others.  Children of his day memorized his stories and told them to one another. For years to come, as people gathered together around the fire at night they would tell Caedmon's stories rather than tales of war and monsters.

Caedmon composed many hymns in his life, but many have been lost. Scholars think that Caedmon's first song is the earliest known poem about scripture recorded in the English language. Caedmon lived a full and happy life.

Now, Son, we did not name you Caedmon because we wanted you to slack in school and fore go reading and writing.  We did not necessarily plan for you to be a cowherd or a monk (though your sister, "Babby" (as you call her) , has many plans for you regarding taking care of the horses on her horse farm...and it should be noted that at the ripe old age of 23 months, you have heartily agreed with her plans!)

No, Caedmon, we have given you a name with purpose. Your name "Caedmon" means "Wise Warrior" and Alexzander means "Defender of Man".  Granted, there are some days when I wonder at our wisdom in naming you "Warrior and Defender".  Some days I wish we would have named you something that means "Peaceful Field" or "Quiet River".  :) 

However, Your Daddy and I believe that God has given each of us an opportunity to live for Him and to serve His kingdom on this earth. Saint Caedmon lived to tell others the stories of God. He related Biblical truth in ways that others of his day could understand. I have no idea what your purpose, your role, is in this life.  But my prayer for your life comes from the Bible.  Micah 6:8:

I pray, Caedmon Alexzander that "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

I pray that you, Son, will love God with all of your mind, all of your strength and all of your heart. I pray that you will love other people and that you will be filled with compassion. I pray that you will have wisdom and a desire to defend the wronged and those who have been over-looked.

I pray too that you will have joy and laughter in your life. That you will live your life not in fear but in trust because of the Truth that guides you.

Already, I can see a protector tendency in you.  One day, our dear dog Sophie (which you now refer to as "So") bumped your sister and made her fall.  Instantly, you went to Babby's defense. You jabbered and shook your fist at "So" for several minutes saying only what I could conclude to be some sort of condemnation. You knocked "So" on the nose before returning to Babby to give her a hug.  While I do not necessarily condone hitting the dog, I do love your protective instinct.

Caedmon, thank you for coming  into our lives. You bring spontaneity and laughter to our family like we have never known.  You have taught me, through your actions, to make fun in the moment with whatever is laying around.  I've never met a kid that entertains himself so happily and freely as you.

Thank you for showering me with your love. Even on days when Mommy loses her temper, you never fail to melt away the tension by dropping into my arms for a snuggle and a hug. I love your forgiving and caring nature.

Caedmon, as you enter into the age of 2, I hope that you will come more and more into the meaning of your name.  I hope that you will grow in wisdom and love this next year.

Happy Birthday, Caedmon Alexzander!  I love you. So much!




Just before bed, last picture being 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts