Lamentations 3:21-24

" But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore, I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:21-24

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Can You See the Wind?

Each month, I recieve email updates from a parenting website about milestones that my children should be encountering.  One of the more recent 4 year old updates told me that my child will become an investigative reporter wanting to know the who, what, when, where, and why of every situation. THAT is an understatement!

I generally love questions from my Blue Bird. I like that she is thinking through things and discovering. I enjoy teaching her and explaining things...most of the time.  (Though, admittedly, in past weeks I have actually set a limit to the number of questions she is allowed to ask...It's funny to watch her weigh a question in effort to determine if it is worth using up one of her five allowable questions.)

The past two days, however, her questions have taken on depth that excites me. Yesterday, during lunch, she asked me a series of questions about how she came to be in our family:

A: "Why are some babies adopted?"
Me: "Sometimes mommies and daddies have a baby that they are unable to take care of, so they let another mommy and daddy take care of it."
A: "How was I adopted?"
Me: "You weren't adopted, Sweetie. You were born to Daddy and me."
A: "How was I born?"
Me: <deep breath to myself> "Daddy and I planned to have you and God put you in my belly.  Remember when Caedmon was in my belly and grew bigger and bigger? It was the same with you."
A: "How did I get out of your belly?"
Many of you are smiling here. :)  I'll not tell you my exact words, but I ended up assuring her that she did not come out of my feet. And she ended the conversation by saying, "I bet it hurts."  :) Um...yeah...it does, my Dear! :)

Today our conversation was more eternally focused.  We were eating a snack and listening to praise and worship music. The particular song started out soft and slow and gradually built up. 

A: "Why does the music get bigger?"
Me: "Because the singers are excited."
A: "How can we be excited about something that we can't see?"
Me: "That's a very good question. Let me think about my answer for a minute." <quick prayer for wisdom!>
I took her outside onto the step. I told her to close her eyes and tell me what she feels. 
A:  <giggling> "The wind blowing my hair into my face."
Me: "Open your eyes. Can you see the wind?"
A: "No"
Me: "How do you know it was the wind?"
A: "I can see it moving things."
Me: "Jesus is like the wind. You can't see the wind, but you can see the effects of the wind. You can see the grass moving and the trees moving and feel the hair blowing on your face."
A: "I can see the wind blowing your hair!"
Me: "Right!  Like that, we can't see Jesus, but we can see Jesus doing things around us. We can feel Him in our hearts." 

And through that amazingly open door into Abby's heart, I was able to walk in and share with her about my relationship with Jesus. I talked with her about spending time with Jesus by reading my Bible and praying. I told her about how He helps me make decisions and teaches me.

She soon was off the step playing in the wind and acting out the story of Robin Hood. I continued to sit in awe of the moment. I remembered a day when she was about 3 months old. I placed her in a baby carrier and took a walk. I was so afraid that day about how I would tell her about Jesus. What if I messed up or said the wrong thing? What if I ruined her for life, for eternity? I have prayed and prayed for wisdom in raising her. Today, I experienced an answer from Jesus.

I reflected on the love I feel for her. Love. You can't see it. You can't measure it. But when you experience it, you KNOW what it is.

1 comment:

  1. I dropped by to let you know that your blog has been awarded the Versatile Blogger Award. Congrats! Follow this link to know what you need to do next.

    http://books4learning.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts