Lamentations 3:21-24

" But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore, I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:21-24

Monday, February 28, 2011

The Giving Pig

One of the things that I'm really learning about as an adult is how to handle money correctly.  I've never really been good in this area, unfortunately. And so my husband and I have been working through Dave Ramsey's book "The Total Money Makeover".  We are making great strides at building up a savings and getting out of debt.  One of the greatest side effects of our "makeover" is the opportunity to teach our kids at an early age how to properly use money.

A friend of mine, Kim Weatherford, does this with her kids and I really love the idea! (Thanks Kim for the inspiration!!)  Each time Abby gets money (as a gift, as an occasional "allowance", from selling toys/clothes at our yard sale, kool-aid stand, etc) we are teaching her to set aside a portion for "giving", "saving", and "spending".   It doesn't matter to me at this point how much she puts in each category, just so that she gets into the habit of separating her funds.  I wanted to make this fun for her, and so "The Giving Pig" was born.



I just used items that we had around the house: An empty plastic peanut butter jar (it was crunchy peanut butter...that doesn't matter, but I do prefer crunchy!), construction paper (which I cut out to fit around the jar as well as traced the lid and bottom of jar), popsicle sticks...and Caedmon placed the pig magnet in the picture as added inspiration.


First, I cut a slit (slightly larger than a quarter) into the top of the plastic jar. Then I put scotch tape along the edges of the slit so that Abby wouldn't cut her finger as she deposits money.  Then I glued her decorated strip around the jar.



I let Abby color the popsicle sticks and then I cut them in half. Added 4 slits to the bottom of the jar, using a knife and poked the sticks through the slits.  The legs are adjustable. :)



 I cut triangles for the ears, glued on a pair of wiggly eyes,  another circle for the nose and there you have an adorable piggy face! Make sure to glue it with the lid screwed on. I did not at first, and each time I screwed the lid onto the jar, the pigs face was upside down. :) 


I cut a thin strip of paper for the tail and curled it around my pencil. And there you have the behind view!  Remember "Give"!

I also plan to create a "Saving Pig" and a "Spending Pig"...but we need to eat more crunchy peanut butter sandwiches!

1 comment:

Popular Posts