Lamentations 3:21-24

" But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore, I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:21-24

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fairy Godmother or Just a Step Sister?

I love the imaginings of my four year old.  She is full of stories of princesses, tiger tamers, fairies, vets and pirates.  I am especially amused at the occasional cross-over between real life and imagination.  It's very common in our house to hear Abby say, "Mommy, today I'm Belle. You be the Beast."  or "Today I'm Wendy, Caedmon can be Captain Hook."  A normal part of my daily conversation consists of, "And who are you today?" 

I particularly enjoy my role as Mrs. Potts. ( I can do a fun English accent).  And I enjoy being Capatin Hook because I get to fight with a sword.  I dream of being a fellow princess such as Sleeping Beauty (Who wouldn't want an opportunity to lay down and rest for 5 minutes?). I do not even mind being the fairy godmother!  In fact, I often feel like that delightful little old lady decked out in blue,  as I create games out of thin air, and entertain the "guests" for hours on end. I feel like the fairy godmother as I dress and redress little Prince Charming and suffer through multiple costume changes (with matching shoes) from my little Princess throughout the day. 

But I never expected to be called a "Step Sister"...though I did find it a bit amusing.  Yesterday Abby and Caedmon destroyed their room.  Abby pretended to be everything from a cat to a rock star.  Caedmon played with cars and "shoo-shoo's" all day.  Just before bed, I asked the kids to pick up their toys.  Aside from being distracted, Caedmon thought it was a fun game to join as he tossed cars into his box.  Abby, acted as though her legs were made of lead and couldn't move a single muscle. She complained with every single stuffed animal that went into her box.

As I completed my final rant about not complaining over chores, I overheard Abby mutter, "You're the Step Sister."  :)

And there you have it, mothers!  Sometimes your the fairy godmother and sometimes your the mean step sister!

This morning,  I told Abby that we will be able to go to the store and buy her the nightgown she's been wanting.  She squealed and excitedly said, "Really?  I get my very own nightgown?"  (Poor thing...I should have bought her one a long time ago...if only I'd known how much it would mean to her!) I mentioned  that I'm not such a bad step sister after all.  She looked at me as though confused and a bit embarrassed and then admitted that she didn't mean it.  It lead to a great discussion about frustration and how we sometimes say things we don't mean....we've all be there, right?

 Who am I to condemn?  I've used worse names than "step sister" and if the worst thing she can call me is a step sister, then I guess I'm okay for now!  At least when I buy the night gown I'll be reinstated to my rightful position as fairy godmother!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts