Lamentations 3:21-24

" But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore, I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:21-24

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Made for a Unique Purpose

While in college, I had the privilege to do an independent study with a professor who was researching home activities with Big Idea Foundation. This project was really cool. Two guys from Big Idea, Bill and Ted, (yes, those were their real names!) hosted "Family Nights" at various locations in urban, suburban, and rural areas. These nights included dinner and games.  Each game was meant to create environments in which the families could discuss some element of their family dynamics and how each person needs one another.  We sent the games home with each family and later did follow up surveys.  As one of the team, I was fortunate enough to get a game pack myself.  I tucked it away in a box somewhere and just recently rediscovered this gem.  Here is one activity we experienced as a family this evening over dinner.

Bob & Larry Family Night Home Activity
"Bon Appetit"
Eating with Style

What You Need
Pillow case, kitchen utensils

How You Play
Fill your pillow case with non-sharp kitchen utensils (spatula, tongs, ladle, potato masher, ice cream scoop, turkey baster, etc.). Tell everyone to close their eyes and pull out a kitchen utensil. The one you touch first is the one you take. The one you take is the utensil you eat your dinner with that evening. Enjoy!

Since my kids are so young, and we had soup for dinner, I used an ice cream scoop, two slotted spoons (one large, one medium) and a ladle.  My adventurous family jumped right on board with our new task!

 I think Abby enjoyed it so much, she prefers the ladle now. She said "It's just my size!"

 Caed refused to eat his soup, but he tried with all his might to eat that sandwich with his ice cream scoop!

What You Learned
Why is a fork or spoon easier to eat with than the utensil you used? A fork or spoon is made for a special purpose - you were made that way too. What unique talet do you have, and how could you use it to help your family or community?

As we slurped our soup we discussed the questions above. I love hearing things from Abby's perspective. She doesn't think that she's as funny as Caedmon (we decided that was one of his gifts) but agreed that she's creative and good with words even though she "doesn't know how to spell them". 

I love the way God has designed our family. We each have so much in common, but we are also so different. And we are learning to compliment and fill in the gaps for each other in ways that are unique to each person in our family. 

And yes...even eating soup with a ladle, or slotted spoon, or ice cream scoop is a sacred event.

1 comment:

Popular Posts