Lamentations 3:21-24

" But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore, I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:21-24

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Lists and Responsiblities

I am absolutely awful with charts.  Reward charts, responsibility charts, reading charts, behavior charts, allowance charts,  eat-your-veggies charts.  I look at them and dream of all the stickers that will fill those beautiful pages. I have tried them...all sorts of them.  And I'm really good at completing at least one day! And then I get distracted.

"How many minutes did you read?  Oh...I didn't time it, either.  Let's give you 3 stickers." 

"When was the last time you did your chores?  I don't remember, either.  Um...probably shouldn't give you any stickers.  Let's start over, okay?"

"You were really kind today...but how do I measure 'kindness'...let's say 5 stickers!"

BUT, I LOVE lists!  I can create lists all day long.  I make to-do lists for myself everyday. 
So, this summer, I tried a no-nonsense-to-do list approach.  And it has WORKED for us!!!

Here is our simple chore list which hangs at kid-eye-level. 

a = Abby (and yes, I realize the "a" is backwards in the picture.  We have a resident 2 year old here.)
c = Caedmon
o = Once a week duties (usually on Saturday)
e = Extras, or special jobs which results an allowance to be saved for toys they want to buy.

(I bought these really cool letter magnets for Abby about 6 years ago from Ollie's...turns out, oddly enough, that after I made my to-do lists, these letters were 4 of only 8-ish that I have left from the whole set...worked out perfectly for displaying my lists! I love when a plan comes together!)

Above the orange line are "musts".  Those things simply have to be done everyday. Below the orange line are things that are "as needed:".  For example, once Abby straightens the bookshelf, it is usually not out of order for several days. She will check it and replace any books she finds. But if it's not messy, then she can move onto the next thing.

Every Saturday, I switch the "a" and the "c".  Both kids LOVE to clean the toilet.  That is the prized list.  Both kids hate to do the bookshelf.  See, they have so much in common...and they think of themselves as complete opposites! :)

It works out great to switch the jobs every week because it gives us all a change of pace. And if one child is not particularly "good" at a job (as in, when cleaning the litter box, a certain child gets freaked out by the poop and flings it into the trash can, scattering litter all over the place) then we can all take heart that it is only for 6 more days until they can switch again.  I help where needed, but for the most part, they take care of their chores without much involvement on my part, leaving me to drink coffee and eat chocolate bon-bons. :)  (yeah right...more like washing the dishes and picking up after the 2 year old!)

Both kids have been saving up for special toys they wanted to buy.  This week, they were really motivated (that is to say, competitive) and each picked several things from the "e" list.  Not only was the house clean from regular chores, but they also cleaned the van, the fridge, the windows and even donated some toys!  A definite win for this mom!  And we celebrated by a fun-guilt-free trip to Toys-R-Us and Wal-Mart.  I may be crazy...but I'm pretty sure they have played with these new toys with extra enjoyment because of the hard work involved!

We have been using this system since May.  I think I have finally found a system that works for us!
Tell me, what works in your home?


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS! Going to try it... I've tried so many already. This seems simple, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts