Lamentations 3:21-24

" But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore, I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:21-24

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Curiosity Killed the Cat...Almost...

Yesterday started out as any normal day (these days).  Caedmon wanted to dress up in his Iron Man costume and Abby was carrying the new kitten all over the house like a baby.

It all happened so fast.  Iron Man somehow attained Purrsia and had her in the baby carriage. She jumped out, Caed ran forward after her and the dog followed Caed.  Purrsia ran into the pantry and one second later I heard her pitiful little meow simultaneously with the a "zap".  I knew in an instant what had happened. Purrsia was in the electronic mouse trap.  I hate that thing now. I had totally forgotten it was in there!

I dug it out from the back of the pantry and to my horror all I could see was Purrsia's tail and one foot twitching.  I pulled my now limp kitten out of the trap and cried for PJ. The kids went running to his office. As soon as he heard my voice he came bounding out knowing something was terribly wrong.

PJ held our twitching, wet kitten (she peed on herself when she got electrocuted) while I called the vet. I'll never forget that sound (I think it's called a death rattle) as Purrsia gasped for every breath. We had a little hope as she began to move a little, but she was still gasping for air and seemed to be blinded now.

I loaded the kids into the car to rush to the vet. Through tears and sobs we prayed for God to heal our 12 week old kitten.  As soon as we said "amen", Purrsia let out a loud "meow!"  We laughed with joy. But she seemed to be getting worse, with her mouth wide open wanting air.  Once I got her to the vet, they did not seem very hopeful as I dropped her off.   I couldn't stay to see the doctor because I had to drive PJ to LU for an intensive.  So we left her and prayed.

I sobbed the entire way to Liberty and then back to the vet.  A thought occurred to me at some point that Abby was totally calm. She wasn't crying but rather seemed to be enjoying the ride and singing along to our Veggie Tales cd.  I wondered at this.  My child who cries when you look at her wrongly.  The one who cries when things do not go as expected. She was so calm.  I decided in the moment to have faith. We asked Jesus to heal our kitten, and so I would expect it. I knew He could heal Purrsia...but for some reason I worried that He wouldn't.

When we returned to the vet we were told that they needed to keep her for the day. Her bodily systems had shut down. Her lungs were full of fluid and the vet was concerned about her vision, but she was doing about 50% better.  There was hope.

Long story short, we brought Purrsia home that same evening and she was perfectly healthy and playful as if nothing had ever happened.  Her sight was returned, she was eating, drinking, purring and playing.  A-MAZING!

I asked Abby why she was able to remain so calm during the whole ordeal.  She said simply: "We prayed for her!"

So grateful for her childlike faith.  So grateful that God heard a 4 year old's prayer and that He healed even a small creature like our 12 week old kitten!

It's just a shame that Purrsia is so young and only has 8 lives left. :)

1 comment:

  1. Great story Debbie! I hope you won't need the mouse trap now that you have a cat. And I hope for your sake that Purrsia won't be using any more of her 8 remaining lives any time soon.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts